Tuesday 8 July 2014

What, Where, When and Why I Read

I have realised that I haven't actually formally introduced myself. So I thought I'd answer a few questions about my reading habits, so you can get to know me a little better.


I LOVE Pride and Prejudice!
What do I read?

I'm not fussy, but I tend to prefer YA books to adult books. However recently I have been reading more adult books. In terms of genre I like dystopian and historical fiction. Basically I love anything not set in a world that isn't like ours. However I do also like contemporary, as long as it's original and not too lovey dovey. Although I do like romance, when the books is solely about a relationship I do tend to find it boring. There are exceptions though, mainly Eleanor and Park, which I absolutely loved!

Where do I read?

Anywhere! I love to read outside when it's sunny (which isn't very often in England!) But mostly before I go to sleep, which is why I'm so tired most of the time! But I don't like reading when there are lots of people around, or when there's too much background noise. (I'm easily distracted!)

When do I read?

Normally at night, but when I'm not tired and wake up early I do read in the mornings. Also sometimes in the afternoons when I get home from school (provided I'm not bombarded with homework, and there isn't a new episode of Made in Chelsea!)

Why do I read?

Now this is a tricky one! The textbook answer would be to escape, which is true. But my life isn't too bad, and most of the time I don't feel a need to escpae. The main reason I read is to discover others worlds. I love the fact that an Author makes a whole new world, from a totally blank canvas. Essentially that there is an opportunity to start again, and create something totally unique and potentially perfect (though that would be very boring!). So don't go telling me that fiction isn't real!

I hope that was an enjoyable introduction!
p.s My name's Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Cute introduction post!

    I am pretty similar to you in many ways. I prefer books that aren't set in our world either. For me though, if I do read contemporary I usually only like it if it's dark and emotional. I do have a copy of Eleanor and Park - just haven't read it yet!

    I personally prefer to read in a quiet room, usually on a bed or comfy sofa! Like you, I can't do with background noise. And I find I'm way too distractible, so reading outside is a no-go for me if there's too much going on (like people walking around).

    I don't read at night though. Usually too sleepy! I actually prefer to read first thing in the morning. :)

    Anyways, enough rambling in the comment section. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete