Tuesday 15 July 2014

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
This description was taken from Goodreads, linked here.
I ventured outside to do some reading!
This book was nice. Meaning that I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was anything special. However there was one thing I really did love, and that was the world. The whole situation with the ley lines and involving psychics was really cleaver. I thought it was very original, and they way it woven into the story set in modern day America was really clever. Blue (the MC) came from a family of psychics, her mum and all of her aunts were psychic, but not her. However she does become very interested in the psychic world. I thought this made her a very good protagonist, because she was totally believing of the world, so eager discover more. Without this, I think the book would've been a bit drab. 

One thing that I didn't like so much were the characters. While they were all very unique and realistic, they just weren't very well developed. I understand that the author wanted them to be mysterious and uncertain, but I felt like I didn't know them at all. We were supposed to get to know the 'Raven Boys' at the same time as Blue, but I always felt left behind in their friendships. T
Blue always seemed strangely at ease with these people she'd always been so sceptical of, I couldn't help feeling like some of their interactions had been missed out. I found them all very uncertain of their personalities, and while their significant traits were almost fored upon as (as I found with Ronan), I thought them all to be very unpredictable and undefined in their actions. 

The book was narrated from a third person perspective, and I thought this just added from my exclusion from the story. For example with Blue, I never really knew how she was feeling about the other characters, apart from the obvious opinions that everyone was bound to share, she didn't really have any unique thoughts, especially concerning her feelings towards Adam. 

The world, though great, wasn't that well developed either. However, I think this was a good thing, as it made everything more mysterious, making the book more unpredictable. 

All criticism aside though, I did enjoy this book. It was a fun read unlike anything I've read before. It did also confirm my (almost!) dwindling love for YA. It was a very YA book, and uncertain romance, a quirky protagonist, and abolished sterotypes. The perfect recipe for a great YA book!!

Rating : 3.5/5

Have you read The Raven Boys? What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment